Limping Through Life: A Farm Boy’s Polio Memoir
The publisher’s description of the book:
“In this most personal book, Jerry Apps, who contracted polio at age twelve, reveals how the disease affected him physically and emotionally, profoundly influencing his education, military service, and family life and setting him on the path to becoming a professional writer.”
How to participate in the book club?
Read the Book Club featured book.
Think about and react to the prompt questions below from the author.
Check back in regularly over the six weeks to see responses from other book club members and the author.
Monitor the author’s Facebook site for reminders about the Book Club. Visit https://www.facebook.com/jerryapps to follow the author on Facebook.
- Do you know anyone who had polio? What is their condition today? How have they coped as a polio survivor?
- How would you compare the polio epidemic with the current COVID-19 pandemic?
- Do you or do you know someone who remembers the polio epidemic (1945-1955)?
- During the polio years many public events were cancelled (county fairs)? How did people react?
- What thoughts do you have about the treatment Jerry received?
- What are your reactions as to how Jerry’s father took over the physical therapy treatment by using a “farmer approach?”
- What did you like about the book?
- What didn’t you like?
- Any other thoughts you’d like to share?
Write your answers in the “Reply” space. The book club will continue, starting July 1 for six weeks. Jerry will respond to your questions on Friday of each week.
Author’s Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Go to www.jerryapps.com for more information.